Jerusalem: Izdanie palestinskoi ligi “V” pomoshchi sovetskomu soiuzu, 1943. Octavo (24 × 17 cm). Original printed wrappers with translucent protective covers; 109,  pp. Illustrations throughout. Closed tear to protective cover; small tears to title page not affecting text; still about very good. Item #6570
First and only edition of the anthology of the “V” League, a charitable organization created in Palestine by the left-leaning Jewish community (Yishuv) to collect money for the Soviet Army fighting in WWII. The official creation of the League was announced in Haifa in 1942, and the “V” in its name was to stand for ‘victory’. The Federation of Trade Unions (the Histadrut) joined the League as an associate member. The leaders of the League saw the Soviet Union as a powerful force capable of repelling fashism, as well as a natural ally in the construction of socialism in Palestine. Although the USSR retained a hostile attitude towards Zionism, the League’s activity made the Soviet leadership believe in the possibility of involving Palestine in its sphere of influence in the post-war world order.
The first congress of the League gathered 250 delegates, and the anthology includes speeches given during the congress. The result of the congress was the establishment of the “Foundation for Assistance to the Soviet Union and the Red Army, leading the heroic struggle." According to the organization itself, in the summer of 1942 it counted about 10,000 members. The anthology also includes speeches from the much-publicized visit of the Soviet diplomats to Palestine in August 1942. The total amount of donations of the Foundation totaled about 30.000 pounds by 1943. In the course of WWII, the League transferred 750.000 dollars to the Soviet government. The aid largely consisted of medicine and medical equipment, also pictured and dicussed in the anthology. Finally, a number of speeches in the anthology contain appeals to the Soviet government about the transfer of evacuted Jews from the Soviet territories to Palestine. The rear wrapper of the anthology is a full page reproduction of a poster used by the League to advertise collection of donnations for the Soviet Army. Not in the Russian State or National Library. KVK, OCLC show copies at BnF, Harvard, Yivo Institute, Hebrew Union and National Library of Israel.