Moscow: Kinopechat' (Kino-Izdatel'stvo RSFSR), 1926-1928. Quarto (30.5 × 23.5 cm). Publisher's staple-stitched photo-illustrated wrappers (attributed to Gustavs Klucis); 39,  pp. Numerous photographs and illustrations. Very good. Item #6139
Early double issue of this important Soviet cinema journal, published by the Association of Revolutionary Cinematography, founded in 1924 with the objective of developing a repertory and vocabulary for film to serve the Soviet masses. This issue is largely devoted to the question of genuinely "Soviet" script-writing, with numerous articles on the subject, including one by the expressionist poet Ippolit Sokolov. Also featured are short comments by Lev Nikulin, Lev Kuleshov, Vsevolod Pudovkin, and Viktor Shklovskii. A theory section brings articles by N. Agadzhanova and another essay by Sokolov, on "Material and form." Other sections present information on new film technology, reviews of recent films, such as Miss Mend; a long analysis of the 1926 silent drama "By the Law" ("Po zakonu") by Lev Kuleshov. Also included is a report on the Russian Photographic Society (RFO), a shorter piece on cinema work in Siberia, the "cinefication" of Belarus, and a report on the international film congress in Paris.
The front wrapper features several stills from Sergei Eisenstein's film "The General Line" ("General'naia liniia," 1926-1928). The design, like that of other issues of the journal, is attributed to Gustav Klucis (Klutsis, 1895-1938), the important Latvian-born constructivist designer. One of 4000 copies. The journal was initially titled "Kino-zhurnal ARK"; after May 1926 it became Kinofront.
KVK, OCLC only appear to show paper copies at Princeton, USC, and LACMA, but no complete runs.